18 Aug RAA announces fall classes and events
Maybe Rossmoor’s artistic prowess has been hidden in home studios and RAA (Rossmoor Art Association) studios at the Gateway complex. But whether you are an artist or an art lover, RAA is for ALL residents who appreciate art and enjoy being a part of the “art scene.”
More than 250 residents are RAA members and already know most of the benefits of the $10 annual membership fee. For those new to Rossmoor or who have not yet discovered the Rossmoor Art Association, here are some of the many things RAA offers. And why Rossmoor is truly a Bay Area art center.
RAA offers a myriad of year-round exhibits and activities at no charge. There are monthly demonstrations by artists, painters, printmakers and other artists from Northern California. Refreshments are served, and everyone has an opportunity to talk to the guest artist.
The demos are from 1:00 to 3:00 pm in Art Studio One on the first Wednesday of each month, from September through May. The next demo features Roosmoor instructor and versatile artist Seema Mahboob on September 5.
The evening Soirées lead by Anna George have become a big hit with RAA members and guests. Each soirée features an interview with an artist who lives in Rossmoor, an exhibit of her or his work, as well as music, wine and cake. The next Soirée will feature watercolor artist Kathleen Stumpfel on September 19 in the Fireside Room at Gateway. There will also be Soirées on the third Wednesday of November, January, March and May.
Rossmoor boasts two public art galleries with on-going exhibits of work by RAA members: three annual juried exhibits in the Creekside Gallery and three exhibits in the Gateway Clubhouse. In addition, there are exhibits in the Event Center and at the Fitness Center. There is no charge to exhibit in any of these shows.
The RAA holds an Annual Dinner every June. It is a very special catered event and features an exhibit of artwork by the RAA class instructors and an introduction to the RAA education program. This program rivals any in the Bay Area, with eleven instructors currently contracted to teach for RAA. Their expertise in drawing, painting, printmaking and other art forms offers beginning and advanced artists in our community an opportunity to enjoy expressing their art in a comfortable, fun and convivial studio environment.
And of course RAA sponsors classes and workshops in almost all art forms, from life drawing to painting (oils, acrylics and watercolors) to printmaking , collage and felting.
The Fall 2018 classes start in just a few weeks. A description of each class and the instructor, as well as the dates, times and cost, runs in the Rossmoor News on the three Wednesdays before the class starts. The RAA schedule of classes and events is also on the RAA website: www.rossmoorart.com.
There are twelve classes scheduled to begin in the next few weeks, along with several workshops later in the session.
- “Drawing and More…” Wednesday mornings with Cassandra Antkowiak
- “Drawing for FUN” Thursday mornings with Steve Osborn
- “Norman’s Life Drawing,” Friday afternoons; this session will be taught by Steve Osborn
- “Figure Drawing Lab” Saturday mornings and a 4-day workshop in early October on “Drawing the Figure in Proportion” with Judith Kunzle
- “Watercolor for All Levels” Tuesday mornings with Ron Pratt
- “Watercolor for the FUN of It” Wednesday evenings with John Hopper
- “Oil Landscapes from Photographs” Friday mornings with Carol Tarzier
- “Oil & Acrylic Painting” Tuesday afternoons with Anna George
- “Acrylic Painting” Thursday afternoons with Marcy Wheeler
- “Chinese Brush Painting” Thursday mornings with Celia Chow Huddleston
- “Printmaking” Wednesday afternoons with Elizabeth Addison
- “Drawing from the Model” on Friday mornings with Seema Mahboob
The fees for RAA programs are exceptionally reasonable compared to most art classes offered in the Bay Area.
To join RAA, you must be a Rossmoor resident. Annual dues are $10.00. For more information and to download a membership form, visit www.rossmoorart.com.
Experience the joy and FUN of expressing yourself through making or enjoying art! Join RAA and be “artsy” this fall.